Weaving Communities of Practice
Welcome to the Weaving Communities of Practice website, the result of an AHRC-funded project on textiles, culture and identity in the Andes.
The project is based at the Centre for Iberian and Latin American Visual Studies (CILAVS) and the Department of Computer Science and Information Systems at Birkbeck, University of London, with the Instituto de Lengua y Cultura Aymara (ILCA), in La Paz, Bolivia, in partnership with museums in the UK, Bolivia, Peru and Chile.
The principal feature of this website is a database of Andean textiles. Using the Textile Product Search, you can:
- Search the database by key terms
- View high-resolution images of textiles from collections around the world
- Make thematic searches: on structure, technique, place, region, period, material and iconography
- Make advanced searches, crossing and filtering data
- Save text, images and searches
- Print, export and send data
There is also a detailed guide to , including images and video clips of techniques, instruments and structures; a glossary of textile-related terms in English, Spanish and Andean languages; an introduction to textile heritage; and .